Shockwaves in Turkey over the killing of a mother in front of her child by her ex-husband have sparked a new debate over the country’s domestic violence record.
Emine Bulut, 38, was stabbed to death in a cafe on 18 August by her former husband in the central Anatolian city of Kırıkkale, some 50km east of the capital Ankara.
Fedai Varan told police he killed his former wife with a knife he always carried with him, Turkish media reports said. He has been charged with her murder.
Days after the incident, harrowing video footage from the scene emerged on social media, appearing to show a wounded Ms Bulut screaming: “I don’t want die!”
A child said to be her daughter can be heard sobbing and saying: “Mum, please don’t die.”
Ms Bulut, who reportedly divorced from Mr Varan four years ago, later succumbed to her injuries. The child has since been taken into care.
The Turkish Family, Labour and Social Services Ministry urged social media users not to circulate the video to avoid causing further distress to Ms Bulut’s daughter and relatives.
The Presidency’s Director of Communications Fahrettin Altun also called on media outlets to act “responsibly and ethically” in their reporting of the incident and to avoid coverage that “justified” the murder and “blamed” the victim.
Protests were held around Turkey to denounce the crime while the hashtag #olmekistemiyorum (I don’t want to die) was trending worldwide on Twitter.The outrage lead to widespread condemnation of the murder, calls for the protection of women’s rights and tougher sentences for perpetrators.
#olmekistemiyorum (I don't want to die) trended globally on Twitter last week, as high profile people such as Ekrem İmamoğlu, the Mayor of Istanbul, posted about Emine Bulut's murder
“Ölmek istemiyorum”
Bugüne kadar cinayete kurban giden tüm kadınların çığlığıydı aslında.
“Anne lütfen ölme”
Öksüz kalan tüm evlatların gözyaşları...#EmineBulut’u erkek şiddeti nedeniyle kaybettik. Şiddetle mücadelede kadın ve çocukların yanındayız, olmaya devam edeceğiz.
— Ekrem İmamoğlu (@ekrem_imamoglu) August 23, 2019
“We expect the murderer to be punished in the severest manner,” President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s spokesman İbrahim Kalın wrote on Twitter.
Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gül, also taking to Twitter, said that “the attacker” had been arrested “immediately” following the “brutal murder” of Ms Bulut.
“I have full confidence that this murderer will be given the punishment he deserves by the courts,” he added.
Istanbul Mayor, Ekrem İmamoğlu tweeted: “ ‘I don’t want to die’ was actually the cry of all women who were murdered up until today.
“‘Mum please don’t die’ [is] the tears of all orphaned children. We have lost Emine Bulut because of male violence.
“We stand by women and children in the fight against violence and we will continue to do so.”
Football players paid their respects to Ms Bulut with a minute’s silence before the start of the Beşiktaş-Göztepe match on 23 August at the Vodafone Park stadium in Istanbul. A message from Beşiktaş said: “We wish the killings of women to come to an end and the perpetrators to be tried with the most severe penalties. We won’t get used to it, we won’t shut up.”
Beşiktaş - one of Turkey's biggest football clubs - denounced Emine Bulut's murder & held a minute's silence in her memory before their home game against Göztepe
Bu vahşete karşı sessiz kalmıyoruz!
Kadın cinayetlerinin son bulmasını, faillerin en ağır cezalarla yargılanmasını diliyoruz.
Alışmayacağız, susmayacağız!#EmineBulutpic.twitter.com/syAC0OuFo8